Friday, December 5, 2014

Adventures Elsewhere - Dresden

I know what you're probably thinking because I've been thinking it too - Is she ever going to finish blogging about her Europe trip?!  It was over 6 months ago!!!  I know, it will end soon.  I think my subconscious still wants to be in Europe so I'm dragging out my posts as long as possible. :)  My goal is to get all my posts about the trip up by the end of this year.  My track record for blogpost frequency makes it look like I won't be able to do it, but I shall!  You also might wonder how I can still remember enough to write about our experiences, but the good news is that I took notes about our journey as the travels occurred when we were driving from city to city.  So my recollections are pretty legit.

Anyway, so DRESDEN.  I loved it.  Newel said it was his favorite city he served in and it was my favorite city we visited in East Germany.  Here's some of what we did when we were there:

We walked around the Neustadt (new city) and saw Newel's old missionary apartment.  Then we checked into our hotel which was one of my favorites - Motel One.


 We then walked across Marienbrucke and caught this view of the Altstadt (old city).  I was so taken aback by this view when I first saw it.  I couldn't believe I was in such a beautiful place full of so much history.  Then we walked more along the River Elbe.



In the Altstadt we saw the old opera house, Dresden castle, and Fraunkirche (Church of Our Lady).  The Fraunkirche was bombed and destroyed during WWII and then was later rebuilt a few years after Newel finished his mission.  When he was in Dresden, it was still a pile of rubble so it was really cool for him to see it completed.  We climbed to the top and got these amazing views of the city.



We then walked and walked and walked and walked!  We saw the Golden Rider statue of August the Strong (major king of Saxony).

The next morning, we walked to the Zwinger - a massive party palace partly inspired by Versailles.


And then we went to the Praguestrasse where Newel did missionary work.


What I want to remember about Dresden:
1) How much Newel loved seeing it again and talking about what it was like to serve there.
2) All the moms with babies - and they all rode bikes and had baby bike seats in the front of their handle bars.
3) The view from Fraunkirche
4) Walking in the Neustadt down Rothenburgerstasse
5)  The unevenness of the sidewalks because of all the big cobblestones - this was a little detail Newel had forgotten
6) Sitting and people watching with Newel in the Praguestrasse

1 comment:

  1. Don't ask me how I ended up here (serendipity) but thanks for this entry! I was one of Newel's companions (in Annaberg) and although I never personally served in Dresden as a missionary, we did live there for 3 1/2 years while I completed my PhD, as chronicled by my wife here: americandresdner.blogspot.com. Say hi to Newel for me!

    ReplyDelete