Thursday, January 16, 2014

Seriously?

I don't know if I've written about this before, but it is really hard to understand Southerners sometimes.  If you look up information about the Southern American accent on Wikipedia (check it out here), you'll see what I'm talking about.  Wikipedia even puts a disclaimer that the article is unclear and causes confusion to readers.  It's because the general public can't figure out what the people down here are saying!  Well, at least I can't.  I never thought I'd have a language barrier with my own native language, but I do.  Not all the time, but sometimes.  Seriously?  Yes.  Here are two stories to illustrate my dilemma.

1. The first time we went to the Birmingham Civil Rights Institute, we talked to the security guard and he started talking to us for a long time, probably 10-15 minutes (typical length of time one might talk to a total stranger in the South), and all I understood of what he said was to put the Bible on Newel.  What?  Yeah, that's what I thought.  I think he was saying if Newel was getting out of hand (which he does a lot :) ), then I need to have him read the Bible and remember what God wants him to do.  Maybe?  Who knows.  I really had no idea what else he said.  Neither did Newel.

2. Yesterday, I got a phone call from the billing department at my doctor's office saying I needed to pay my medical bill for my last visit.  I paid it over a month ago and saw it go through on my online banking and asked what they wanted me to do.  The lady said to email her the check copy and they would look into it.  She gave me her email and then spelled it out for me and I couldn't understand the letters.  Yes, the letters!  From our very own alphabet!  I thought she said her name, then @tennethills.com.  I confirmed what I wrote down and she said that was correct.  I sent the email, and then I got a delivery failed notice.  It was after hours at this point, so I went as far as to look up her name on Google and put pieces of information together to figure out her email was her name @tenetHEALTH.com.  What the heck?  First of all, her E's sounded like N's so I doubled the N's and I got 'hills' from 'health'?!  Again, my native language, people.  Wow.

I think I'm more shaming myself than the Southerners and their accent.  It's not their fault I can't understand them.  You'd think after being here for a year and a half, I'd catch on, but not yet.  I bet once I finally speak fluent Southern American English, we'll leave.  Love life.

1 comment:

  1. For someone who grew up where ENGLISH was the native language spoken, I can totally understand your frustration. The first time someone asked me if I had an extra "pin" they could borrow (translation: pen). And that was just the beginning of six confusing years. Don't blame yourself. You are just following what every reputable dictionary gives as the pronunciation of words.

    ReplyDelete