Sunday, May 3, 2015

Food Adventures

So for those of you that know me, you know I love food.  Especially homemade food made with real ingredients and a lot of love.  I LOVED the food in Europe, especially in Germany and Prague.  I said I would write a little bit about our food experiences in Europe so here I go.

One-time eating experiences that we loved:

Currywurst - bratwurst with ketchup and curry powder served with brichen ("little bread"/roll).


Garden salad with some kind of mustard vinaigrette - fresh, tasty & healthy.

Strawberry flavored milk and Ritter Sport chocolate bar with yogurt, honey, and crispy sugar wafer from the grocery store in Dessau.

Fresh double brichen from the Leipzig bakery - when Newel broke it apart for us to share, steam came out of it!  Wow.  It had basically come right from the oven in the back.  And it was so delicious dipped in hot chocolate.

Kloesse, red cabbage, and rouladen - Newel's friends, Olaf and Marion, made us this for lunch.  They told us these dishes are usually for special holidays but they made them because they were some of Newel's favorite foods when he served his mission.  Isn't that so nice?!

Lamachun (Turkish pizza) - basically a döner wrapped in thinner, crispy tortilla-like bread.  It was huge, but so good and worth every bite!


Apple tea - tasted like a green apple sucker in warm drink form.

Bratwurst - we had a cheese one in Leipzig, and when we were in Dresden, Newel had a Turinger bratwurst with a German Coco Cola.  He was in food heaven. :)


Doughnuts - like ours, but they just tasted so fresh.

Czech food sampler - what we got at the Mustek Restaurant in Prague.  It came with roasted pork, potato dumplings, white cabbage; roasted duck leg, red cabbage & steamed bread; beef goulash, red onions, & cracked dumplings.  That sounds like so much food, but it really was sample size so it was just right. :)

Czech bread - like German bread but denser and filled with flax seeds.


Trdelník - rolled dough wrapped around a stick, then grilled and topped with sugar and walnuts.  We saw these all over Prague and just had to try it.  It was pretty much forced upon us, but not really. :)

Polish sausage - enough said.

Apple streusel with ice cream and whipped topping - we got this twice; once in Prague and once in Ulm.


Leiberkase - meatloaf (with a bologna taste) and fried egg on top - a Bavarian specialty.

German pretzels - again, enough said.  Just imagine the best pretzel you've ever had.



Weiner schnitzel - my very first time having it.  I always thought weiner schnitzels were hot dogs because of that fast food place, but a schnitzel is actually a thin piece of boneless meat tenderized, coated with breading and then deep fried.  I had the Altwienerschnitzel which was grilled and then baked with spinach, mushroom, cheese and onion gravy.  Is your mouth watering?  Mine was.  It was really good.  My picture makes it look like an enchilada and it doesn't look as great as it tasted, but believe me - it was great!


Roasted pork leg - another Bavarian specialty.

Maultaschen - like ravioli but German-style.  I got a maultaschen salad and it was yum.



French crepes, croissants, chocolate pastries/tarts, and ham & cheese baguettes.



Frequently eaten on our trip:

The continental breakfasts - not to rag too much on the U.S. of A., but the continental breakfasts I've experienced here include toast, cold cereal, and juice.  I thought the continental breakfasts we would experience in Europe would be the same thing but maybe croissants and nutella instead of toast.  I was totally wrong and I'm so glad I was.  Every hotel we stayed in Germany, Prague, and Innsbruck offered a continental breakfast which included assorted homemade breads, artisan cheeses and deli meats, fresh fruit, boiled eggs, tomatoes & cucumbers, yogurt, muesli, assorted jams and spreads, and beverages.  OH MY GOODNESS.  I was in food heaven.  I don't even think I can put into words how good it all tasted.  Europeans, especially Germans know how to make and eat food.  I never got over how much I loved the breakfasts there.  When we came back, we tried to re-create it a few times, but it wasn't quite the same.


Döners Kebabs - we ate them in Berlin, Leipzig, Dresden, Prague, Ulm, and Stuttgart.  This was my most favorite thing we ate.  Döners are like gyros except the bread they are served in is crispy on the outside and soft on the inside, served with cabbage in addition or instead of lettuce, you can choose to have a regular yogurt sauce or a garlic yogurt sauce, and everything else on it tastes even better (well, better than the gyros I've had here).  Newel said he ate döners as often as he could when he was on his mission, and I totally understand why now.



Ice cream - you know we enjoyed every bit of ice cream we had in Annaberg, Ulm, Tubingen, and Paris.

No comments:

Post a Comment