Sunday, August 26, 2012

Botanical Gardens

So this last week, I found out the Alabama Board of Examiners only meets once a month to approve new applications for state licensure in speech-language pathology, and my application didn't make the August meeting so I have to wait till September to get my state license.  This also means I can't start working until mid September.  Bummer.  I'm trying to make the best of it though.  I got my library card, and I've found lots of entertainment with two books I checked out.  I've also been to our apartment complex's pool which is nice, but I couldn't help but want to go out and explore Birmingham since I've never been here in my life.

So, I decided to go to the most visited free attraction in Alabama - the Birmingham Botanical Gardens.  The Gardens are pretty sweet.  I had no idea what I was looking at most of the time (unless I saw the signs), but everything was beautiful.  I walked through one of the rose gardens.


 

Then I started taking pictures of flowers up close because they reminded me of my mom who does the same thing.  She probably could have told me what these flowers/plants are called.
 


 
And then I walked through what I think was the Fern Glade Garden, or maybe it was the Little One's Memory Garden.  I didn't really look at the map when I was there.  I just followed trails and took pictures of things I thought were pretty.  The only problem was everything was pretty.


 
Then I walked through the herb and vegetable garden which reminded me of my mother-in-law who is a fantastic gardener and one that has cared for the physical needs of her family with all the things she's grown each year. 
 
 
 I then walked through some more gardens and found the big one called the Formal Garden.  And then I ended with the Kayser Lily Pool, which was one of my favorites.
 
 
 
 
I only made it through half of the gardens, but I figured I could go back another day with Newel.  It was so beautiful and peaceful, and my pictures are doing the Botanical Gardens justice, but I enjoyed myself.  I liked how it reminded me of family, particularly the women in my family.  I think women and gardens go together because the women I know and love most can make things grow.  They've helped me grow, especially my mom.  And I love her so much for it.
 
If you live in or come to Birmingham, go to the Botanical Gardens.  You won't regret it.
 
 


1 comment:

  1. Gardeners live in beautiful places because they make them so.

    ReplyDelete