Thursday, September 11, 2014

13 Years Ago

This morning I went to the little gym at my apartment complex to exercise and while I was listening to the radio, the talk show host said, "We'd love to hear from people in a few minutes and tell us where you were 13 years ago."  For a split second, I thought that it was interesting that he wanted to hear where people were 13 years ago.  That was a little random.  But then the next split second, I remembered how not random that topic was.  Today was 9/11.

I decided to look at my journal because I remember writing in it on 9/11.  This is what I wrote:

This morning two planes hit the World Trade Center and a plane hit the Pentagon.  When I heard about it, it was at the end of Seminary and Bishop Brazier told us.  I thought it was a tragedy.  I want to share more thoughts but they'll have to wait because I need to go to bed early for Seminary. 

I was 15 years old when I wrote this entry, and I never did share more thoughts on it.  Maybe 13 years later is as good as any time to share a little more.

I still remember when Bishop Brazier told us the news.  We didn't know very much at the time.  I don't think anyone really did.  And then I remember going to school and watching news footage of the towers collapsing, and then later reading the newspaper and seeing images of all that happened that day.  It almost wasn't real to me.  As a 15 year old, I knew so little of the world and seeing all of that was a bit of a wake up call for me.  I saw a lot of the bad that was in the world, but I also saw the good.  I remember more people coming together, uniting to help others and reaching out to loved ones, especially those directly affected by the events of 9/11.  It was a sad day, but it gave so many people opportunities to express love for God and for their fellowmen.

Since I'm still writing about our trip to Europe, I haven't shared much about our Southern experiences, but I do want to say, that I feel like the South is really American.  I guess it's actually Southern American, but still American.  Go America!

No comments:

Post a Comment