Thursday, June 20, 2013

Roadkill

So I was thinking this morning as I was driving to work that I see a lot of roadkill here in Birmingham.  In fact, it's a guarantee that I see at least one dead animal on the road on my way to work.  I thought I should write a post about it.  And then I thought, "But I haven't seen any roadkill yet, and I'm gonna be to work in a few minutes."  Then, as if the universe knew my thoughts, I come around a bend and there one dead animal in the road.  Then I come around the next bend, and there's another dead animal in the road.  Two roadkill incidents after just two bends?!  It was a sign.  So here is what I have to share about the roadkill in South:

There is A LOT of road kill around here in Alabama.  I really do see at least one dead animal on the road every single day.  I can't believe I haven't really thought about it until now.  Maybe I've become desensitized to it.

You may ask why is there so much roadkill?  Well, there is a lot of foliage which I think makes a bunch of nice homes for the raccoons, squirrels, opossums, etc.  Also, no one cleans up any roadkill.  It's just left on the road until the crows pick at it until it's gone.  There are a lot of crows in Alabama too. 

I saw something kind of sad the other day on my way to work.  I saw a dead raccoon in the road after being hit by a car.  Later, on my way home from work, I saw the same raccoon completely flattened by another car and being picked at by the crows.  Just the circle of life I guess, or maybe just gross.


Sorry, no pictures of the roadkill (for obvious reasons).  You can Google pictures of roadkill or search roadkill cuisine.  Pretty interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment