Sunday, June 16, 2013

Union Pride

In honor of my Dad, who loves American Civil War history, I wanted to share these photos I took in Jackson Square in the French Quarter of New Orleans.  The square was named after Major General (and later U.S. President) Andrew Jackson who won the Battle of New Orleans against the British in 1815.  An equestrian statue of General Jackson was later erected in the middle of the square in 1856.  The people of New Orleans loved and I think still love Andrew Jackson.


A few years after the statue was built, New Orleans was captured by the Union Army at the end of the Civil War.  There was no battle in the city itself so New Orleans didn't get totally abused.  Major General Benjamin Butler took over New Orleans and put the people under martial law which ticked everyone off.  Then he ordered the following words to be carved in the base of the Andrew Jackson statue:


You can probably guess that the people hated Butler for that, and they did.  Our tour guide told us some funny stories about the whole thing.  I think it's funny that there is a historic park in the South where you can read the words "The Union must and shall be preserved."  I know my dad would love that.

I love him, and I'm so grateful for all the wonderful fathers and future fathers out there!



No comments:

Post a Comment