Friday, January 25, 2013

How to talk Southern

I'm sure someone's written a book on how to talk like you're from the South, but here are some things I can think of off the top of my head:

y'all - you guys or you all; as in "What are y'all doin' tonight?" or "Did y'all meet your neighbors?" (You must say y'all; it feels weird saying you guys in the South.)

fixin' to - planning on; as in "I'm fixin' to go to the store and buy me some grits." or "Miss Hillary, are you fixin' to give me my homework folder?"

mmkay - okay; as in "Y'all better listen up, mmkay?" or "This is how it works, mmkay."

might could - might or could (not both) :) ; as in "You might could try giving him some candy now."

cut off/cut on - turn off/turn on; as "Cut that machine off."  or "I tried cutting it off then cutting it back on, but it wouldn't work. (that one really threw me for a loop.)

Begin incorporating these into your everyday conversation, and you'll start to sound like a true Southerner.

P.S. The drawl just takes some practice.

No comments:

Post a Comment