Thursday, September 13, 2012

The "Beach"


One of the first places we've gone since moving to B'ham is Oak Mountain State Park.  It's a cool place, not far from where we live and it has a beach!  I've always loved the feeling of being completely submerged in water, and it's something I haven't been able to experience much since my growing-up years in San Diego.  I know we're in the middle of Alabama, and I didn't have high expectations for what the park called a beach, but I when I first saw the beach, I felt like laughing.
 

No waves, very overcast (a lot like Law Street in June), and no ocean breeze because (duh) there's no ocean.  I still liked it though.  I appreciate what I experienced growing up, but I also appreciate what I'm experiencing here.  There are lots of fun things to do to enjoy the outdoors at Oak Mountain.  There are a lot of trails for hiking, biking and horseback riding, pretty scenic drives, canoeing and kayaking on the lake, and a lot of other things we didn't get to check out because we were only there for a day.  So, in summary, it was fun.  Below is a photo I took looking out towards downtown from Oak Mountain (you can't see it because of all the trees!)
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment