Wednesday, July 10, 2013

More Southern Talk

Just a few other things we've picked up on since living here.  For some of the originals check out this post.

On the flip of that - on the other hand; as in "I like going to work, but on the flip of that, I don't." :)  I like saying 'on the flip of that' better than 'on the other hand' now.

Hosepipe - hose/garden hose.  I don't really get this one; pipes are hard, right?

Buggy - shopping cart.  I thought babies went in buggies, not groceries.

Ma'am - what/pardon/excuse me?
For example:
Me: "Where do you hear the R sound in bear?"
Student: "Ma'am?"
Me: "What?"
Student: "Ma'am?"
Me: "What?"
Student: "I didn't hear the word.  Say that again."
Me: "Oh, right.  Where do you hear the R sound in bear?"
This one obviously took me a while to get.  Still gets me sometimes.

Boy, you gone crazy/you have lost yo' mind - means what it says.

Mess - a person/thing/situation that's disarrayed, out of sorts, etc.; as in, "Newel, my little Sugar-Bear is such a mess."

Hot mess - a person/thing/situation that's REALLY disarrayed, disheveled, out of sorts, etc.; as in "That Hillary is a hot mess" (on the day I wore two different shoes to work).

Bless your heart - an expression of sympathy like 'you poor thing'... at least when it's been said to me.  I've since realized that "bless your heart" can also an expression of "you're kind of an idiot" so pay attention to context!

Love me this Southern talk. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment